Marshfield Motor Speedway LLC

Gregorich and Hintz Score Wins at Marshfield

Posted under Race Reports by Chris Budzban on August 17th, 2002

August 17, 2002; Marshfield, WI: – If you get excited about three and four-wide passing, the place to be on Saturday night was Marshfield Super Speedway. The many fans that attended the races tonight witnessed some of the most exciting racing action of the year, as it was Schalow’s Nursery night at the races. Schalow’s is Marshfield’s “Small Business of the Year.”

In CARQUEST Super Late Model action, 20 cars took the green as Merrill’s Jay VanDerGeest took the top spot away from pole sitter Dean LaPointe on the first lap. VanDerGeest continued to hold the top spot until lap six. It was at that time that caution flew for the first time. DuWayne Vetrone was forced to the outside going into turn one as another competitor forced a three-wide inside pass. Unfortunately for Vetrone, he spun backwards into the turn one wall.

Once the race resumed, Mark Mackesy took over the top spot from VanDerGeest. Mackesy’s lead was brief, as Eugene Gregorich, Jr. made the inside pass on Mackesy entering turn four. Gregorich, who worked his way to the lead from his tenth place starting position, was looking to close the gap on Rory Melbinger for the points championship. As Gregorich worked his way through the field with three-wide passing, so too, did Jeff Weinfurter and Rory Melbinger. By the eighth lap, Weinfurter and Melbinger climbed into the second and third positions.

Caution would fly for the second time as Jeff Weinfurter looped his machine making an attempted pass for the race lead. As it appeared that Gregorich would have to join Weinfurter in the rear of the field for bringing out the caution, Weinfurter accepted the blame for the incident, and Gregorich was given his position back.

Once the race restarted, Gregorich stretched his lead on Melbinger to three car lengths with Mark Mackesy, Jim Sauter Jr., and Kirby Kurth mixing it up for the third spot. The race would be slowed one more time as Clint Sillars looped his Chevy in turn one. With 13 of the 25 laps completed in the main event, Gregorich pulled out to a four car length lead on Melbinger, with Kurth riding in the third spot.

Melbinger cut into the lead that Gregorich enjoyed, however, Gregorich went on to score his fourth victory of the year on the 1/2 mile paved oval. Following Melbinger in the third position was Kirby Kurth. Weinfurter, who had to come from the back of the field twice, wound up fourth with Sauter, Jr. rounding out the top five.

As 18 CARQUEST Super Stocks started the feature, Marv Flick darted out from his front row starting position to lead the first three laps. On lap four of the 20 lap main, Larry Schultz went to the point passing Flick for the lead with Matt Raykowski holding down the third position. One lap later, Raykowski drove around Schultz for the top spot. With Raykowski leading, caution slowed the pace as Brian Schmutzer lost control of his car in turn one.

Once the race was restarted, it was Matt Raykowski leading the way, followed by Keith Bohmsach and Larry Schultz. Two laps later, Bohmsach slipped by Raykowski for the race lead. While Raykowski and Shawn Stelzer fought for the second position, Tim Hintz was working his way through the pack from his twelfth starting position. By the halfway point of the race, Stelzer moved into second and Hintz to third as Bohnsach enjoyed a three-car length lead. With four laps to go, Hintz moved past Stelzer and started to set his sights on Bohmsach for the race lead.

The race was slowed for a second and final time as Don Tieman, Jr., Marv Flick, and Larry Schultz got together in turn one. Unfortunately for Schultz, whom of which was looking to crack into the top five in points, was unable to continue as he sustained front-end damage to his machine.

On the restart with two laps remaining, Bohmsach and Hintz battled side-by-side for the win. In the final turn, Hintz slipped by Bohmsach to win by a half car length. Stelzer finished a strong third, followed by Tim Plowman and DuWayne Davis. Hintz, who also was fast qualifier, stretched his point lead to 42 points over Shawn Stelzer.

A part of the racing program tonight were the always exciting 4-Cylinders. Leading the 20 car field in the 12-lap feature event were Brad Dupee and John Froelich. Froelich made the pass on Dupee and stretched his lead to four car lengths over Kyle Davis, who also made the pass on Dupee.

On lap six, Jason Bell moved into second followed by Denny Goetsch. Goetsch, who appeared to have the car to beat, made the pass on Bell and race leader John Froelich to take over the lead on lap eight. Goetsch stretched his lead over Bell by five car lengths. As Goetsch was increasing his lead on Bell, Paul Berg moved pass Froelich for the third position.
As the drivers crossed the finish line and received the checkered flag, it was Goetsch crossing the line first, followed by Bell, Paul Berg, Keith Wirtz, and John Froelich, respectively. However, Goetsch, who just finished his third race of the evening along with qualifying, failed to pass post-race inspections. Bell was awarded the victory.

In the always exciting Bumper-To-Bumper Cruiser division feature, Travis Zvolena led the way for the first three laps. On lap four, the pace was slowed as Eddie Hoffman & Ken Swisher looped their car entering turn one.

On the restart, Rodney Feltz took over the top spot with Zvolena riding second and Darrell Paschel running third. Wayne Meyer moved pass Paschel on lap five to take over the third position. With Feltz and Zvolena running first and second, point leader Josh Elmhorst quietly moved his Olds pass Meyer to take the third spot away.

The pace was slowed with five laps remaining for Justin Moore’s spin in turn three. Once the race resumed, Feltz stretched his lead over Zvolena. As Feltz was moving away from the pack, Mike Dodson blasted his way into the second position and was looking to cut into Feltz’s lead. However, in the race’s end, it was Feltz coming home first with Dodson finishing a very strong second. Elmhorst, Zvolena, and Meyer rounded out the top five.

Also added to tonight’s action was Powder Puff races. Amber Osowski in Tim Plowman’s machine, won the Super Stock event followed by Sharon Pascavis and Kathy Raykowski. Missy Pitts borrowing Paul Berg’s car won the 4-Cylinder Powder Puff followed by Katie Davis and Eloise Rowan. Tammy Purkis in Travis Zvolena’s car won the Cruiser Powder Puff, she was followed by Vicky Griebel and Megan Yost.

The winner of the bicycle donated by Marshfield’s Wal-Mart was Matt Joiner of Marshfield.

Next week, it will be Mid-State Truck Service night at the races. Joining the CARQUEST Super Late Models, CARQUEST Super Stocks, and Crusiers, will be the Motorcycles and the IROC Saturns.

With only a few point races remaining, and the battles in all divisions heating up, don’t miss the exciting racing action on the 1/2 mile paved oval. Marshfield Super Speedway is located 3 miles West of Marshfield on County Road H. Miller time trials begin at 6:00 pm followed by the first race event at 7:30 pm. Please join us!